Portland Marathon Event Directors Conference - West
Portland, OR | Oct. 6-8, 2016
The most valuable conference in the industry
Join us for the 27th edition of the Portland Marathon Event Directors College (West) hosted by the 45th Annual Portland Marathon! It’s sure to be an event to remember!
Portland Hilton Downtown - 23rd Floor
921 SW 6th Ave Portland, OR 97204
An interactive and educational experience, this conference feature a panel Q&A format with breakout sessions where the details of how to put on an event are discussed. Expert panelists review critical issues for events large and small, including: Politics & City Issues, Volunteer Programs, Sponsorships, Organization, Management, Financial Models, Technology, Medical and more.
Why you can't miss this conference:
- Panelists are top event directors & industry experts willing to share their knowledge
- Conference attendees are encouraged to join in dialogue & ask questions on any topic
- Attendance is capped at 120 attendees for best learning experience
- Evening networking dinners bring conference panelists & attendees together
- Conferences are coupled with top quality events to allow “inside look” opportunities
- Unique sponsorship & exhibitor opportunities available (space is limited)
Panelists & Speakers
- Jeff Curtis, CEO, Portland Rose Festival Foundation
- Wally Kastner, Past Event Director, Big Sur International Marathon & Carmel Half
- Scott Keenan, Event Director, Grandma’s Marathon
- Gary Kutscher, Race Director, The OC Marathon
- Patrice Matamoros, Race Director, Dick’s Sporting Goods Pittsburgh Marathon
- Rick Nealis, Race Director, Marine Corps Marathon
- Sean Ryan, Race Director, Bellin Run, Door County Triathlon, Across the Bay 10k
- Beth Salinger, Endurance Marketing, Chief Event Officer
- Les Smith, Event Director, Portland Marathon
- Julian Smith, Event Director, Cooper River Bridge Run
- Allan Steinfeld, Past Event Director, NYC Marathon; CEO, NY Road Runners Club
- Mamie Wheeler, Portland Marathon Medical Director & Assistant Event Director
Exhibitor spaces start at $1,350.00 and includes general registration for one representative and a 6×8 table space reserved for your company in the Trade Exhibit Room for Exhibitor supplied display, adjoining the conference (full access to all participants). Limited spaces available while they last. Contact Mamie Wheeler, email@example.com for more information!
Conference Kick-Off Party | 6 – 10 p.m.
If you make it to Portland in time, please join us for food & drinks and mingle with other attendees at this fun open house!
Check-in | 8:00 a.m.
Session One: Introductory Panel
What has happened in our industry over the last year?
New issues • Industry Trends • Trading Vital Information • Competitors • Predators • Legal Impacts
Session One Continued
Marketing • Sponsorship • Media • How to Gain Participants
Political Realities & Issues • Medical • The Importance of Community Involvement • Networking Opportunities • Economic Impact v Taxes to the City
Charities • Volunteers • The True Essentials and up-to-date Realities
Announcements 4:00 p.m.
Join us for a very special VIP reception and networking reception. Transportation will be provided.
Continuing Check-In | 8 a.m.
(for those who did not register on Thursday); Breakfast brought to you by the Portland Marathon & Next Events Productions
Small & Large Event Management & Organization • Profit v Nonprofit
Break - Snacks brought to you by the Portland Marathon & Next Events Productions
Session One Continued
Board of Director issues • Budgets • Income sources • Leadership
Class Photo! We'll take the class photo right before lunch!
Intellectual Property Rights and Pitfalls
Event Technology I
Follow up on Intellectual Property • Innovations & ideas • No boring Social Media – Only the Best
Event Technology II
Applications and Practicalities: Improve an event of any size or age
VIP Cocktail Hour & Reception on Top of the City
Enjoy cocktails while you chat with new friends and old!
VIP Directors Dinner
23rd Floor of the Hilton Hotel
This is one of the most looked forward to events of the week! There will be a brief but fun awards ceremony, and plenty of food! Presentation of the Event Director of the Year Award.
Help us look at ourselves, our event and the industry • Understanding elites
Sponsorship The Real Deal: The Value of an Event• Getting the Deal & keeping the Sponsor • Branding • Analysis of your event- Large or Small • Details often overlooked, from A to Z • Merchandising • Expos
Session Two Continued
More on Sponsorship • Memberships • Legal issues • “Is ‘Green’ now a wash?”
Breakout Sessions: 4 or 5 Hot Topics
An evening to remember!
SUNDAY: MARATHON DAY – 7 a.m.- 3 p.m.
Join us at the Finish Line VIP tent for breakfast, lunch, and a rousing good time!
VIP tent is located at SW 3rd and SW Main St.
It’s all in Portland… and you’re invited!